Carbon Monoxide after Storm, Hail DamageCarbon monoxide can be overly abundant in many homes after a storm and hail damage. Carbon monoxide, (CO) is a colorless and odorless gas that can cause death if it is inhaled in closed settings.

Once the power goes out after a storm, it can cause damage to the ventilation system, causing dangerous carbon monoxide to build up in a house. Statistics show that over 400 Americans die in the United States each year from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning.

In addition, people are more apt to using generators, gas stoves, and other appliances to try to cook, generate light, or to stay warm during an emergency. All of these conditions are ideal for CO poisoning.

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are very similar to the flu. Generally speaking, victims become nauseated, dizzy, have headaches, are confused, and usually vomit as soon as they have inhaled a large enough quantity of carbon monoxide.

If you or someone you know develops symptoms of CO poisoning, try to get medical assistance as soon as possible.

How to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning after Storm or Roof Damage

After severe weather has damaged your home, here are some ways to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Use Generators With Caution - If you must use gas generators after a storm, then try to only use it for short periods with proper ventilation.
  • Emergency Supplies – Every home should have emergency supplies ready during storm and winter seasons. You should have flashlights with charged batteries, canned food and other emergency supplies that are ready to use.
  • Install CO Detectors – Many carbon monoxide poisoning accidents can be easily avoided by having CO detectors installed throughout the house. You should definitely have them in bedrooms, and other areas where the family usually spends their time.
  • Flue Vent Piping – After a large storm, you should inspect your inspect your gas appliances flue vent piping to make sure they are still attached correctly.
  • Roof Repair – If you hire a contractor to redo or repair your roof, you need to have an air and heating contractor or professional plumber check to make certain that the venting has been properly installed.

Accidental carbon monoxide poisoning can be avoided after storm and hail damage. In case of extensive damage contact NuBilt, your local property restoration company, to assess the situation.

Issa Ashour

Issa Ashour, President of NuBilt Restoration & Construction, co-founded the property restoration company back in 1994. Since then, the company has successfully restored 1000's of properties. Connect with Issa on Google+.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>